I told you about our final dinner last night at Fish. This is a picture that the waiter took for us. Aren't we dark?? I guess that's what happens after a few days of equatorial sun.
Our last day at the W was very sad. We were both sad to leave. It really is an amazing place, expensive, but amazing. We do want to return to the Maldives at some point, though it's probably not all the realistic in the near future. I'm not sure that we would stay at the W again though. Not because we didn't like it or didn't think it was worth it, but there are so many high-end hotels here. The Conrad, two Four Seasons, the One and Only and countless others. I would just want to see what the other hotels were like.
Our seaplane ride back to Male was about 20 mins. Mary and I purposely sat on different sides of the plane so that we could take pictures. Here's one I took. I pointed out which bungalow was ours.
Once we got to Male at 4pm, we had a few hours to kill before our flight. We knew this before we left, so we set up a guide with the W to tour the city. Fortunately or unfortunately, the city is very small and we finished our tour in about an hour or so. We stopped once for a drink while our guide went to pray (the Republic of Maldives is officially Islamic, so he has to pray five times a day). We also had dinner and did some shopping - where we totally got ripped off, but that's ok. It's our honeymoon, right? Mary thought our guide was a little sketchy, but I thought he was fine.
A few things I learned from our guide.
-There are roughly 300,000 Maldivians but only about 100,000 live in Male
-Maldives was formerly both a British and Portuguese colony and gained independence officially in 1953, but became a Sultanate again in 1954. The current Republic was formed in 1968.
-Maldivians have one of the highest per capita GDP in all of South Asia
Random thought - I think the honeymoon is a good time to figure out how to do things as a married couple. I mean, we have lived together for over a year so we've figured most of that stuff out, but now that we're married, it's different somehow. Things like who carries the passports or takes care of things with the hotel reception or who answers which questions when you meet people...we've had nearly two weeks to figure those things out.
No comments:
Post a Comment