Friday, June 05, 2009

The big spill

Today was all about meeting up with people. We started the day late with some shopping. Most of the stores don't open until 11am...it's a wonder any of them make money. Any every mall looks the same with all the same stores.

We met up with Que, Jackie and Hang. Que went to high school with Mary. He's married to Jackie who works in finance here and Hang is Que's brother who is just visiting. We ate some good old fashioned Shanghainese food. It was very good, but I honestly think I like Evergreen better! Prob just biased though since the place was packed and they seemed very mad at us for staying so long.

When we left, Que and Hang walked us to the train we needed to get to Wong Tai Sin. On the way to the train, I missed a step and took a huge spill on the sidewalk. I tried to balance myself for a while, but it didn't work. Mary said it was a very slow motion fall. I scraped my knee but that was the worst of it. It took us about 25 mins with one transfer to reach Wong Tai Sin Temple. Interesting experience, but other than watching people with some incense or sitting by a little waterfall, there wasn't much to do. So we went shopping, but this mall had a lot of local 'flare'. The entire place stunk of durian...not a good smell when trying on clothes. But that didn't stop us! We spent an hour and over US$100 at G2000 (sort of H&M-ish).

We psyched ourselves up for another long train ride, but seriously the trains are so much nicer here its not that bad. We were headed to the last stop of the red line (Tsuen Wan) to meet Marys aunt and family for dinner. Having called her aunt, all we had was the name of the restaurant, no address, no landmarks, not even a general direction. But, thanks to my excellent navigation and deduction skills (and a good amount of luck)...we found it! There were seven of us. Her aunt, her grandmother and three of her two sons and her niece. Their English was not bad and dinner went well. We had dinner, exchanged red envelopes and pictures and were on our way home. We had planned on going out, but the Mary fell asleep on the train ride back so we just came back to the hotel.

I should have some real internet access soon, so I should be able to post some pics.

No comments: