Sophie's late. It's week 41. We've decided to induce labor since Mary's fluid levels are low. We started at about 9pm last night. It's been about 17 hours since we started the whole induction process. If you're not familiar with it, it starts with a medication to loosen the cervix (cervidil). That takes about 12 hours to take effect. According to Mary it was very painful to administer because it's placed right by the cervix... That start contractions for Mary. They were fairly mild overnight and got worse this morning. She was very brave and handled all the contractions well. The next step, which just happened, is for her to receive pitocin, a synthetic form of the hormone oxytocin, which mothers create naturally as they begin labor. Mary has decided to get an epidural before getting pitocin, which I think was very smart. That went smoothly and she's trying to nap now before the storm later.
This is all making it very real. I'm excited to see Sophie, excited to be a dad. The worst part about it all is seeing Mary go through all this. I wish there was a way for me to make it easier on her. She is taking it like a champ though...which is why she deserves the wonderful push gift I got her - but that's a surprise.
More to come...
Friday, May 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment